The Scholars’ Lab Makerspace is strategically situated within the UVA Library to be open, provide a low barrier to entry, and be a helpful resource of information, technology and support. The space invites all people, and proactively encourages those in underrepresented academic studies, ethnicities, genders, economic classes and skill levels to come, learn, make, and be empowered to improve their education, research, and community. The Makerspace is an active participant in academic research through independent and collaborative work with scholars to explore, understand, and report on emerging technologies, methodologies and pedagogies in a variety of disciplines.
All humans are dreamers, creators, and achievers. Our mission is to provide the place, the tools, and the support to empower people to dream, create, and achieve.
The Makerspace staff will be delivering consultation and instruction remotely, via Zoom or pre-recorded video tutorials. If in person consultation is needed, it may be available by appointment. Please send all inquiries to email@example.com.
Nora Dale:3D Printing, Textiles, Buttons Brandon Phan:3D Printing, 3D Modeling
Shane Lin:3D Printing, Programming, Digital Humanities
Jeremy Boggs:3D Printing, Electronics, Programming, Digital Humanities
Interested in exploring the Makerspace? Have an idea to use microcontrollers or 3D modeling to enhance your research or differently interrogate your assumptions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment with a Makerspace Technologist or Scholars’ Lab staff to discuss your planned project.
Physical Computing and Electronics
- Sparkfun Arduino kits, with Arduino UNO and 101 boards and an assortment of Arduino shields.
- Raspberry Pi version 3, 4 and Zero W
- Soldering irons, solder, helping hands
- Digital multimeters
- Spare parts for basic electronics tinkering (breadboards, wire, switches, sensors)
- Button Maker
- Silhouette Curio vinyl cutter
Textiles & Wearables
- Bernina B 350 sewing machines + Juki MO-644D serger
- Basic supplies for wearables and tactile computing
- Sewing needles and thread
- Quilting/cross-stitch frames
- Wacom Cintiq 22HD graphics tablet
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Agisoft PhotoScan
- ArcGIS, qGIS
- Fusion 360, MeshMixer, Tinkercad, SketchUp, Maya
- Tool box with basic hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers. etc.)
All equipment is maintained for use in the Makerspace and is not available for check out at this time. Don’t see the equipment you need here? Visit http://makergrounds.virginia.edu for other shops, labs, and places for making at UVA.